14 Celebrities who Decided to Quit Smoking Marijuana for Good
It seems like in today’s era of marijuana becoming more and more mainstream, there are multiple celebrities who opening talk about their love of getting high. Yet despite that, there are also many famous actors and musicians who have publicly spoken about how they have either quit entirely, or taken a step back from lighting up.
14 Celebrities Who Decided to Quit Smoking Weed
- Method Man The rapper and actor who starred in the well known stoner Movie How High decided that, now as a parent he needed to give up getting high. Both for his daughter’s sake as well as to try and shake his image of being a stoner. He explained in an interview that “it’s hard for you to sit there and be taken seriously if people are always talking about he’s always high, or he’s always on weed, which is not the case,”
2. Kid Cudi In a post on his Tumblr, the musician said “Giva f— who thinks of me different, you didn’t care about me in the first place if you can be proud and happy for me for growing and starting a new chapter. I’m not your puppet or your tap dancing drug addict here to be your miserable muse, i always made music for me to help myself find understanding. I have finally learned from the words in my songs. I love who loves me and who really cares about me.” Well said Mr Cudi, and we wish you the best of luck!
3. Brad Pitt The well known Hollywood actor has been famous for quite a while now and has grown used to what that means and with his philanthropic and activism work has even used his fame and influence as a tool for good. That wasn’t always the case however. In the nineties there was a period of time where according to an interview with Pitt he said “I was hiding out from the celebrity thing, I was smoking way too much dope, I was sitting on the couch and just turning into a doughnut and I really got irritated with myself.’
Unfortunately that wasn’t the end of the stars struggle with alcohol and marijuana and he has apparently used and possibly abused both substances over the years.
4. Paul McCartney The member of the legendary British rock band the Beatles has had a long relationship with marijuana which caused him a his share of trouble over the years. McCartney was fined in Sweden for possession of marijuana, charged with ‘illegal cultivation’ after being caught growing pot in Scotland and he even had to spend 10 days in a Japanese jail after having been arrested for having weed in his luggage. He was however, released without charges.
Now as a grandfather, McCartney has publicly stated that ‘I don’t do it anymore. Why? The truth is I don’t really want to set an example to my kids and grand kids. It’s now a parent thing.” And that he would prefer a glass of wine or a margarita over his former habit of lighting one up.
5. Lady Gaga The iconic pop superstar opened up about her former addiction to marijuana saying in an interview “I have been addicted to it and it’s ultimately related to anxiety coping and it’s a form of self-medication and I was smoking up to 15-20 marijuana cigarettes a day with no tobacco,” and went on to say “I was living on a totally other psychedelic plane, numbing myself completely, and looking back I do see now that some of it had to do with my hip pain. I didn’t know where the pain was coming from so I was just in a lot of pain and very depressed all the time and not really sure why,” she said.
When she was asked if she plans on continued to regularly smoke weed she replied “I do put that pressure on myself; I have to be high to be creative. I need that, that’s an error in my life that happened for over 10 years. Can I be brilliant without it? I know that I can be and I have to be because I want to live, and I want my fans to want to live.”
Congratulations Lady Gaga and we wish you nothing but the best on your journey to being free from marijuana addiction!
6. Travis Barker After having a rather serious health scare with cancer, The former drummer for the punk rock band Blink 182, decided that it was time to make some serious changes in his life. After years of bad eating habits and smoking weed, the musician had a scare that really forced him to reevaluate his priorities in life and according to him “They found that I had six ulcers, and I had a condition called Barrett’s esophagus, which is basically from really extreme acid reflux or if you excessively smoked, your esophagus lining becomes pre-cancerous,” after that, the choice was simple. Barker now a father quickly decided that he to make his health a priority and is quoted as saying “ I used to love smoking weed… I would smoke weed at night if I had anxiety. I always thought I’d be able to do that for the rest of my life, but when your health is on the line, you don’t [mess] around. I love being a dad and I love playing music. I’m not trying to give up any of that.”
7. Natalie Portman As some of you may know, Portman isn’t just a critically acclaimed actress who won Oscar for her role in the movie The Black Swan. She also attended Harvard and graduated from a B.A. in Psychology in 2003. It was here that she said she enjoyed smoking weed however now, she stated in an interview “I’m too old. I wish I was that cool, but I’m like an old lady now. I’m in bed by 10pm I can’t do that anymore.”
8. Woody Harrelson The long time actor who has starred in numerous movies over the years, opened up about how he had decided to take a step back from his former partying ways. In an interview with The Vulture he said “ I actually stopped smoking pot almost a year ago.” and went on to say “I feel like it was keeping me from being emotionally available”. Which is great news for fans of his movies because now he will be more clear headed and able to focus on what he does best, making amazing movies.
9. Cee Lo Green After suffering an anxiety attack while high, the musician and former judge on The Voice decided that enough was enough and it was time to quit smoking pot for good. He is quoted as saying that after the panic attack “I never got comfortable with it (weed) again” and decided to give up the habit for good.
10. Mark Foster The lead singer for the band Foster and the People actually got his inspiration to stay free from weed from an unlikely source. The rapper Snoop Dogg, who is well known for his love of the herb. Apparently when the two met, Foster who had just recently quit smoking marijuana a few days before that but because Snoop is, well Snoop, Foster is quoted as saying ‘I quit smoking but I’d have one with now if I had the chance’. The rap legend’s reply may take some people by surprise when he offered words of encouragement and according to Foster he replied ‘Y’know what, brother: sometimes you gotta slow down and focus on your shit’ What was Foster’s reaction? He said “From the godfather of marijuana smoking! That was good enough for me.”
11. Neil Young
The famous folk singer was quoted in an interview with the New York times as saying that he decided to give up smoking marijuana and drinking. He said “I did it for 40 years,” and that “Now I want to see what it’s like to not do it. It’s just a different perspective.” After nearly forty years of heavy use of not just marijuana, he decided that it was time to make a change and give being sober a chance.
12. Miley Cyrus The pop star has been no stranger to controversy and has never been one to shy away from being herself. However in an interview the singer opened up about her decision to no longer get high and quit smoking weed. Cyrus is quoted as saying “I’m not doing drugs, I’m not drinking, I’m completely clean right now! That was just something that I wanted to do,” She went on to explain “When I want something, it’s fucking easy for me. But if anyone told me not to smoke, I would have not done it. It’s because it was on my time.”
13. Andre 3000 The well known rapper and co-founder of the Hip Hop duo Outkast, Andre 3000 said in an interview “I always kept an ounce” The musician went on to explain part of his reason for deciding to give up smoking marijuana and go sober “I was kind of abusing it, I wasn’t looking my best, I had a platinum album out and I would do stuff like go to projects to buy weed.” He further explained “I knew it wasn’t too clever, I was putting myself in danger.”
14. Yelawolf The Alabama born rapper is no stranger to the music scene and the party life that often comes with it. When asked about his past use of drugs, including weed in an interview with the Baltimore Sun he replied “I have real anxiety issues and that’s what’s kept me away from it. Honestly, I tried to start smoking weed again a few years ago, and the same thing started happening to me. I would get anxiety. The only thing I can do is just drink, that’s the last thing I got into” it is however worth mentioning that addiction comes in many forms and can be caused by more than just what society thinks of as “drugs”. It’s never. Good idea to swap one addiction for another such as marijuana for alcohol. Nonetheless congratulations Yelawolf and we hope that you will keep making your music and perfecting your craft.
One of the things I found most interesting about all of these stories is that even though all of the people mentioned had their own reasons for deciding to quit smoking marijuana. The common thread that runs through all of the stories is that they all did it to try and become a better version of themselves. Whether it was for their children Like Mark Wahlberg and Method Man, or to clear their minds and regain their focus like Miley Cyrus and Neil Young. They were all, just like you, faced with a decision. Either keep going the same path, doing the same things or decide to take a step back, evaluate their life and make a positive change for the better. Which is something I think we can all relate to.
What story did you like the most? Share your thoughts and comments below!